Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Memorial Day

We had a great day up at the cottage with family! Hope and Aliyah both have bad colds but they were definitely troopers!! Samuel was very excited to go up to the lake . . . even though I think he had no idea what exactly the lake was. Before we left our house this morning I asked him if he was going to go swimming in the lake. He said, “No, fishies are in the lake.”

The kids did great in the van on the way up. We had to make the traditional stop at Hilltop Bakery to pick up donuts. Aliyah was sleeping so I jumped out of the van and ran inside to buy the donuts while Daryl drove around the parking lot. When we turned onto the road that the cottage is on, Samuel saw the lake and right away said, “Mommy, I want to park!” When we parked at the cottage he said, “I like the lake. Where’s my swimsuit?” I was surprised to hear that because of what he said earlier about not wanting to swim in the lake.

The day was great and the kids did awesome! Samuel spent a lot of time in the water (even though it was freezing cold!). The first time he went into the lake he had to get out of the water and run over to tell me that he stepped in the sand! He was pretty proud of himself. Hope did a little bit of swimming but was happy to play on the shore and play in the little swimming pool that we brought. Aliyah just did her best to get anyone and everyone to hold her hands and walk around with her. And when she couldn’t find anyone to help her walk, she’d just “cruise” around doing her crazy scoot (she now scoots - still on her bum – with her left leg and puts her left hand down to help scoot her along faster!). Samuel made sure to tell Aliyah (when she was walking on the dock), “Be careful Aliyah! Don’t walk off of the dock, the water is deep!” Samuel also loved playing with his fishing pole with the pretend (weighted) fish on the end of it. That is, until Aunt Anna cast the pole and the fish went flying off and sunk into the deep water! Samuel and Hope also loved the paddle boat. They thought it was pretty cool to have their Daddy take them for a little boat ride. Then later in the day when the girls were napping Daryl and Samuel took me for a little paddleboat ride! Samuel played in the water a lot and even got brave enough to reach down and scoop sand up off of the bottom. Daryl and I took Samuel and Hope for a quick swim out to the raft before we ended the day with supper. They both cried/laughed all the way out to the raft and all the way back because the water was so cold. They loved being out on the raft though! When we got back in we told Hope and Samuel how proud of them we were. Hope responded by saying, “I proud of you, Daddy!”

On the way home this evening we stopped at Plainwell Ice Cream with my parents and sister. We’d like to thank licorice and teddy grahams for keeping Samuel awake for the 1 ½ hr drive from the cottage to Plainwell! Samuel was a big boy and had his very own ice cream cone. Hope was very tired and not feeling so great so she didn’t really want much. Aliyah was happy and Daryl’s lap and kept shaking her head whenever we would try and offer her some ice cream. After Samuel’s ice cream cone was gone he said he was ready to go home. When we got home I was helping him out of his car seat and he said to me, “Mommy, I really like the lake and I like ice cream too!” We did have a great day!!










No comments: