Monday, May 23, 2011

Happy Birthday Dad/Grandpa!!

So today for my Dad's birthday we headed over to where he works for a little birthday party during his lunch break. It was a great idea, in theory, and the sun was shining when I left our house. It wasn't raining when I got to my Dad's work less than 5 minutes later but it definitely looked like rain could be coming. I called my Mom (who was also on her way) and she said that she had just checked radar and it looked like we could squeeze in the party before the rain started. I unloaded all the kids and all of the food and started down the hill to the arboretum - a great place right behind my Dad's work. I was pushing a double stroller with the girls in it, coaxing Samuel to keep walking, and balancing a birthday cake in one hand, when the unthinkable happened. It started to rain! I kept on walking because I wasn't really sure what to do. I stopped at the first bench by the pond that was under some trees to give us at least a little shelter from the rain. My Dad found me and the kids pretty quickly and then my Mom and Anna and Janelle showed up a few minutes later. It rained on and off for the birthday party but we had a great time making great memories as a family! Daryl was going to come and party with us but he had a mess going on at work with one of his cases and he couldn't get away.

My Mom and Anna walking to the "birthday spot" in the rain. They were smart and brought umbrellas . . . me, not so much. I just got wet . . . and shared their umbrellas!

Trying to keep the cake from getting too wet!

Samuel with his Grandpa. He loves his Grandpa!

Samuel decorated the birthday cake with M&M's all by himself. He was very proud of his creation. He did great job!!

Birthday presents. Samuel loved helping!

Samuel and Grandpa took a walk around the pond to try and find some turtles and to find some stones to throw into the water. They found some stones but they didn't find any turtles.

Staying dry.

I feel really really bad that I don't have any pictures of my Mom or of Hope at the birthday party. I don't have any excuses of why I don't have any pictures of my Mom. I don't have any pictures of Hope because whenever I'd take her out of the stroller I was either: cleaning off her hands from picking up geese poop, grabbing the sharp knife (that I brought along to cut the cake) out of her hands, or scolding her for putting a huge chunk of string cheese into Aliyah's mouth. Seriously, she was being a very curious 2 year old today and I couldn't take my eyes off of her when she wasn't confined to the stroller. Even when she was in the stroller she was being a stinker. Mental note: buckle Hope whenever she is in the stroller. And take a picture of her . . . even if all she is doing is sitting in the stroller buckled so tightly that she can't move. :)

Happy Birthday Dad and Grandpa! We had fun celebrating with you!!

No comments: