We have had a crazy week so far!! It started on Sunday night with snow changing to freezing rain. We got over .25" of freezing rain . . . it doesn't sound like a lot, but trust me, it is more than enough! Daryl was at the hospital doing his internship until 11:30 on Sunday night. After the kids went to bed I kept hearing branches crack and then fall and hit the ground. Not really a fun noise be hearing! Just a few minutes after Daryl got home, we lost our power. I was bummed but not really surprised. We lose our power ALL the time. Lots of old trees in our neighborhood might have something to do with that. We talked about packing the kids up then and there and heading to my parent's house but in the end decided to throw extra blankets on them and let them stay sleeping in their own beds. Good move. By morning my parents had also lost power. It was about 59 degrees in our house by the time we got up on Monday morning. I didn't sleep well because I was worried about the kids with it getting colder in our house and I also kept hearing more and more branches falling.
After some deliberating, we decided to head for my parent's house for the day. They didn't have power either but they did have a fireplace that was heating up their downstairs quite nicely. Daryl helped me pack the kids and everything up and then he headed for his internship (he had the day off of "normal" work because it was President's Day) while I spent the day at my Mom's house. The drive over there was crazy. Trees and branches down everywhere. Police taped part of our road off because of wires down in the road. I wanted to stop at McDonald's to get some hot water but the line was backed up onto West Main. I drove to the next McDonald's but that one was closed because they didn't have power. I ended up dropping the kids off and heading for Biggby to grab some hot drinks for my Mom and I. Anyways . . . The kids were really good. I was very proud of them. Aliyah took two good naps, Hope had a good afternoon nap, and Samuel played happily in the basement for the whole day. We waited until almost 7pm to head for supper. We figured we might as well wait until it got dark! Daryl and I packed up the kids and went to Applebees because we had a gift card from Christmas. That plan backfired for two reasons. It was a 45 minutes wait for food and they weren't accepting gift cards. So we headed for the famous McDonald's. The kids were happy at least!! Samuel learned how to climb up the playplace all the way up to the tunnels and slide. He did the slide once and not again. A little too big and too scary. But he still loved climbing and crawling and running through teh playplace. Hope liked it too but needed a little bit more help. While we were sitting there we saw a convoy of Consumers Energy trucks headed towards my parent's neighborhood. We were hopeful . . . but nope. When we got back to my parent's house still no power. We put the kids to bed by using our headlamps. Hope and Aliyah slept in the downstairs living room near the fireplace. Samuel slept in Aunt Rosie's old bed and we just piled him high with blankets. We played a game of Hand and Foot with my parent's before we all headed for bed, buried under blankets.
The night went okay. Aliyah wasn't settling down and ended up sleeping with me until 2am or so. Samuel was up once in the night but Daryl just crawled in his bed with him for about an hour. Daryl got up early and headed for our house for a shower (we had hot water, my parent's didn't) and found out that our power had been restored!! YAY! But his office didn't have power so he had the day off from work. YAY!! When he came back to my parent's house we waited for the kids to wake up and then we headed home for breakfast and baths. It's good to be home and warm!! My parent's got their power back on in the early afternoon. Still 17,000 people in Kalamazoo county without power. Shelters are opening up so people can stay warm. So thankful we can be at our own house tonight with lights and heat!!
No pictures. :( I kept thinking I needed to take pictures but that's as far as I got. Bummer!
No comments:
Post a Comment