Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Samuel + Baseball

I know I've written about Samuel and his love for baseball a lot lately.  But it's just too cute not to share!

Samuel is still absolutely all about baseball.  He is my little athlete and also my child that pays very close attention to detail.  He soaks everything in and pays attention to every little thing and baseball is no exception.  We spend a lot of time playing catch inside of our house (shhhh - don't tell!!) and pitching balls to him in the driveway.  Right now he even has a little baseball diamond drawn from sidewalk chalk so that he can run around the bases.  Even if we don't have time to play with him we can often find him with his glove on throwing the ball up in the and trying to catch it.  He loves to slide and roll when he tries to catch the ball.  We do pitch the ball to him inside too - if you visit our house you'd see the sticker on one of our kitchen floor tiles.  This sticker marks home plate.  His favorite is when he is wearing his "slippery pants" because then he can slide into home plate.

He also spends time watching the Detroit Tigers play.  He can't watch long before he has to get up and play himself.  Baseball is a hard sport to explain to a 3 year old but he is definitely catching on!  The past 2 nights he has gone to bed listening to the Tigers game on the radio in his room.  The first night I turned it on for him he looked at the radio and asked where it showed the score.  I told him that he just had to listen closely and the announcers will tell it to him.

When he is watching the Tigers games he'll often see the "Game Breaks" that they show - highlights from other baseball games going on.  He has started to do his own "game breaks" when we play baseball with him.  He'll drop the bat (without hitting the ball) and run around the bases, pick up the bat, drop the bat, run around the bases, and repeat this for 2-3 times.  He'll tell us, "This is the other games now!"  Then, when he's done showing other games, he'll pick up the bat and get ready for us to pitch the baseball to him again.

Tonight after he had hit a big home run (I had to chase the ball down way across the street) I came back and he was already standing on home plate.  I said, "Wow!  You hit that ball so far that I didn't even see you run around the bases because I was running after the ball!"  He says, "Mommy, want to see it in slow commotion?"  He swung the bat (pretending to hit the ball - just like he had just done), dropped it, and ran around the bases.  He said, "See Mom?  That's what I did!  You just saw it in slow commotion!"  Too. Stinkin'. Cute.

Tonight he also needed to run inside to get his sunglasses and his hat because he was having a hard time seeing the ball because the sun was in his eyes.

I hope and pray that he always loves sports this much and that he uses his God-given talents for His glory!!



Doing his home run dance :)

No comments: