Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Mission Field

Today during our Bible Study discussion we got on the subject of opening our homes to people - whether it be long term or just to have them over for dinner, etc.  I was feeling like I didn't have much to say on the subject simply because our house is so tiny.  We don't have extra rooms for any overnight visitors and our house is so small that sometimes I feel it is inadequate for entertaining.  I listened to what everyone else said but I didn't say much myself.
After Bible Study was over, I was talking to Ellen.  She is a sweet, godly older lady that is incredibly wise.  She said to me, "I was waiting for you to speak up during our discussion today.  Why didn't you?"  I'm sure I had a very confused look on my face because I wasn't sure what in the world she wanted me to talk about.  I said something like, "Ellen, we don't have room in our tiny house to take other people in . . . "  She looked at me and said, "You answered God's call and adopted Hope and brought her into your home and your family.  You did the ultimate opening up of your home."  Wow.  That hit me like a ton of bricks.  I never thought about it that way.  Leave it to Ellen to put things in perspective.  And as she was telling me this, my kids were all surrounding me either reaching up to be held or asking me a question or trying to get my attention.  I had a moment of "This is my mission field right now.  This is what my life is all about and what I need to be focused on - these beautiful children and being the best possible Mommy that I can be.  Pointing them towards Jesus and making sure that they know how much they are loved - by their Daddy and Mommy and especially by their Heavenly Father!

No comments: