Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Applesauce :)

I love fall. When we lived in Haiti, it was the season that I missed the most. The changing leaves, the cool and crisp (but not cold!) air, the hayrides, apple orchards, pumpkin carving, jeans and hoodies, warm blankets, and the list goes on! One thing on that list is making applesauce. I love the day that I head over to my Mom's house and we work together to make yummy pink applesauce! Today was that day and it didn't disappoint! I headed over there after lunch with my three kids. Hope and Aliyah went right down for their naps and Samuel "helped" us make the applesauce. He did a really good job with either helping us turn the crank or with playing quietly by himself. Which is really hard for Samuel to do! He would much rather play with someone. When Grandpa came home after work Samuel did a great job of explaining to Grandpa how we made applesauce. He told him that he turned the crank and that the yucky part of the apple came out the end and the yummy applesauce went down the slide. We had some applesauce for supper and he was very proud that he helped make it! My Mom and I did 2 bushels of apples (54 margerine-sized tubs) in just over 3 hours. Success! Actually, it was probably 55 tubs full but I pretty much ate a whole tub myself while we made it. There is nothing I love more than piping-hot, fresh applesauce loaded with cinnamon and sugar! Samuel definitely shares my love and had his fair share while we were making it too. Hope had 3 helpings of it at supper. Yup - they are the reason that we made 2 bushels this year instead of just 1. Oh . . . and because I love it so much too!
I had good intentions to take a lot of pictures of us making applesauce . . . but I didn't take a single one. But it was a great fall day!!

1 comment:

Annie said...

Good work! You're a lot more ambitious than I was...we only made about 8 cups total. And I planned on taking pictures too, but when your hands are all sticky, it just doesn't work!