Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Surgery for Hope

Today, Hope had ear tubes put in (for the 3rd time!) and her adenoids out.  We're hoping that third time is the charm and we won't have to go through this surgery again!  I went with Hope to the hospital (at 6am!) this morning and Daryl stayed home with Samuel and Aliyah.  He got them up and brought them to my Mom before going to work.

Hope did great with the early morning and the whole pre-op routine.  She knew that she was going to the hospital to get her ears fixed and that Dr Smith was the doctor that was going to fix them.  They gave her versed about 1/2 hr before taking her back - this eases with the transition and makes her not remember much after I leave her in the good care of the doctors and nurses!  She got sillier and loopier by the minute after they gave her the versed.  She was resting on my lap when all of a sudden she sat up and said, "Where's Mr Snot?"  I'm pretty sure she meant Dr Smith. ;)  Actually, I know she did because later this afternoon she was telling Samuel about being at the hospital and she told him that her doctor was Mr Snot.  After relaxing again and resting for a few minutes she sat straight up again and said, "I smell something!"  I asked her what it was that she smelled and she said, "I smell the wall."  By the time 7:30 (surgery time) rolled around Hope was giggling uncontrollably and was totally loopy.  But when I carried her to her wagon and said good-bye to her she was limp and starting to get really drowsy!

Surgery went well and took less than 30 minutes.  Dr Smith came out after the surgery and told me that, and I quote, "Her ears were pretty messed up."  He sucked a lot of junk out of them and put in some t-tubes - slightly more permanent and should stay in longer than the tubes he had put in previously.  He said that her adenoids were not that enlarged but he still felt it was good to get them out.

Recovery was the worst part of the process.  It usually is, right?  It took them an hour before they called me back to post-op to be with her.  Her nurse explained that Hope had had a laryngospasm after they extubated her and they had to give her a breathing treatment, call for help, etc.  I think she gave them a bit of a scare!  When I got back there Hope was crying and very upset and irritable.  She wanted her water and her Daddy.  I could give her some water . . . but not her Daddy! :(  She calmed down after awhile but continued to have random bouts of tears and irritability.  Totally understandable but so hard to see.  They kept us at the hospital a little longer than usual just because of the whole laryngospasm thing but Hope never had any more complications and they sent us home around 10:15.  She fell asleep on the way home and then slept for almost 2 hours after we got home.  The rest of the day she spent on my lap getting lots of love and snuggles.  She was very whiny, irritable, and sad which made for a long afternoon . . . but I didn't mind the extra snuggles and the time to just spoil her.  She asked for Samuel, Aliyah, and Daddy a lot.

She was still very loopy off and on throughout the afternoon and evening.  She couldn't really walk until late afternoon (which was an improvement from when we left the hospital and she wasn't even holding her head up!).  When she was laying on my bed and my closet door was open she was convinced that somebody was in the closet.  I closed the closet door but then she could see herself in my mirror.  She started talking and I couldn't hear her so I asked her what she said.  She said, "I'm not talking to you.  I'm talking to her!" (pointing at herself in the mirror).  Then she was closing her eyes and then opening them and saying, "boo!" over and over again.  Silly girl. :)

I'm glad those ear tubes are back in because she sure needs them!  But I hope they stay in for a very long time because I don't really want to go through another surgery with her for awhile. ;)  Hoping that tomorrow is a good day for her and that she's feeling back to normal!

No comments: