Today I started quiet times with Samuel. Aliyah still naps and Hope has been having quiet times by default recently just because she hasn't been falling asleep at nap time. I told him that he needed to play quietly for 15 minutes in his room and that he could come out when the long hand was on the "3". I was surprised at the lack of fight he put up. I was sure it was going to be a battle to get him to stay in his room and play by himself. But he did come out of his room right at 3:15! I asked him what he did during his quiet time and he told me, "I played marbles, read books, and laid on my bed and watched the clock!!" Haha!! Poor boy! 15 minutes must have felt like a really long time to him. ;) I think we'll slowly work our way up to 30 minutes.
Samuel has been waking up in the morning recently with the first thing out of mouth being, "I want to watch something on TV." I usually (okay, always) oblige unless it is Sunday. I selfishly like this time because it is a great chance for me to get ready for the day (he's been waking up early lately!) and to do a couple of things around the house before the girls wake up. But lately this has led to a fight to turn off the TV, a fight to get his clothes on and get him ready for the day, and a late late breakfast (he usually snacks on dry cereal while he watches TV and then wants breakfast around 10am!). So last night I told him before he went to bed that when he got up in the morning we were going to eat breakfast, get dressed, and go potty before we turned on the TV. This morning he woke up and came into my room and said, "Mommy, I'm hungry. Can I have breakfast?" We ate breakfast together and then I helped him go potty and get dressed. After we were done he asked, "Now can I watch something on TV?" I was so proud of him! I let him watch one show and then the TV went right off - no complaints or battles! I know it won't go this smoothly every morning but we'll definitely try and stick with this schedule!
I feel like 2 good changes were made in our routine today. Now I just need the strength to be consistent and not fall back into our old habits!
1 comment:
Good work, Mommy! I am TERRIBLE about changing routines, because I'm always afraid of the trauma that will take place when the change happens. Luckily, David's fearless! I think it's great that you're starting a quiet time. Since Simon started doing that rather than napping, we put Jeff in our room for an hour at the same time. It's a complete life saver, and I think it's SO important that they learn to play on their own. You're doing the right thing. :)
Post a Comment