Thursday, August 11, 2011

Kalamazoo County Fair


Tonight I took the kids to the Kalamazoo County Fair. We met my parents and Savannah there, Daryl was in class. Earlier in the day I was trying to explain to Samuel what the fair was. I told him that there were lots of animals there - horses, goats, cows, rabbits, pigs. And then I also told him that there were rides there. He got a really concerned look on his face and he said, "Mommy, I don't want to ride a horse." I assured him that he didn't have to. Then he said, "Mommy, I don't want you to ride a horse either." I told him that I wouldn't!
Samuel threw a big temper tantrum at home right before we left for the fair. He had fallen asleep in my chair (very unusual for him to nap during the day) and I had to wake him up to get him ready. He didn't do well with that at all. It was a big mess getting him ready and into the car but I figured that once we actually got to the fair, he'd be fine. Especially because Savannah was going to be there. I was right. The car ride was a good time for him to calm down and by the time we got to the fair, he was excited to see the animals. He didn't want to linger in the barns, he wanted to keep moving, but he had a lot of fun. His favorite parts were probably the horses whinnying (he laughed and laughed!) and being able to touch the bunnies - especially the ones where he could tickle their feet! Hope was a little unsure of the bigger animals but she was okay with them if someone was holding her. Aliyah just said "quack, quack" and "bah!" (not sure what that means) to all of the animals. We saw a cow giving birth. It totally freaked Samuel out. I thought it was because of the huge crowd around the cow and all of the clapping and cheering when the cow was born. I didn't think he could see the cow that well because there were a lot of people standing in front of us. I ended up walking away with him because he was scared and sobbing. But then when we went back to that barn later in the evening to see the baby pigs, baby ducks, and baby chickens. He refused to go over and see the baby pigs (in the pen right next to the cow and her new baby). I finally talked him into it and when he saw the baby pigs he said, "They are not coming out!" Okay . . . so maybe he saw more of the cow giving birth than what I thought he did! Hope's favorites were the baby pigs. By the time we left to head home, my allergies were going crazy!! But it was well worth it!!




Hot dogs for supper!

Samuel was able to experience his first elephant ear. On the way to the fair I told him that I was going to eat an elephant ear at the fair. He looked at me like I was crazy! I told him they were really yummy - kind of like a big cinnamon and sugar sandwich. When I asked him if he wanted to share an elephant ear with me he gave me an emphatic "No!" Once he saw it though, he changed his mind. After he ate a couple of bites he said, "Mommy, is this a pretend elephant ear?" Well, yeah buddy, not a real elephant ear like you are thinking!

No comments: