This fall, we signed Samuel up for "Little Tots Soccer" through Kalamazoo Parks and Recreation. It's a program for 3-4 year olds to get acquainted with soccer by teaching them drills and the basic concepts of the sport. We thought that this would be good for Samuel to start with before we work him up to being on a soccer team and playing "real" games. We go every Saturday morning from 9:30-10:15 for 6 weeks. He has insisted that Mommy take him every single time. Daddy just isn't making the cut with this one. Samuel is a lot more cautious and reserved about doing the drills and participating than what I thought he would be. I see small improvements every week but he still wants me to be right next to him through everything. I don't mind - it's a good way for him to get used to playing soccer with other kids.
My Mom came during one of the practices and took some pictures:
This past week (second to last week before soccer is over) they did the first scrimmage with the kids. Samuel was pretty excited to be on the yellow team . . . but he wasn't thrilled about playing. He was very reserved and only touched the ball twice . . . and after both times, he cried. When we got home he said to Daryl, "I was waiting for somebody to pass it to me, but nobody ever did!" He doesn't quite have the confidence yet to get right in the thick of it and fight the other kids for the ball. The only soccer he has seen/watched, is Aunt Anna's team and they do a great job with passing the ball! Little kids all just run in a pack and fight for it, no matter which team you are on! I'm positive that when he gets more confidence, he will be a star soccer player!!
No comments:
Post a Comment